How to Enable PAM Authentication for the Unix Service Installation

The Unix server installations of our products will be installed as a Unix daemon with the scripts located in the ‘/etc/init.d/’.
The scripts are named as follows:

• for i-net Clear-Reports server: ‘/etc/init.d/clear-reports’
  • for i-net HelpDesk server: ‘/etc/init.d/helpdesk’
  • for i-net PDFC server: ‘/etc/init.d/pdfc-server’

The server of our products will be started with its own user, not as root. Here are the default users for the service installations:

• for i-net Clear-Reports server: ‘clearreports’
  • for i-net HelpDesk server: ‘helpdesk’
  • for i-net PDFC server: ‘pdfc’

To allow PAM authentication for the local users of your system, our products need read access to the ‘/etc/shadow’ file.
To provide an easier way of doing this, we provide a shell script in the installation root of the Unix service installation of our products.

The script is called ‘enable-pam-for-user.sh’ and is located in the following positions:

• for i-net Clear-Reports server: ‘/usr/share/i-net-clear-reports/enable-pam-for-user.sh’
  • for i-net HelpDesk server: ‘/usr/share/i-net-helpdesk/Server/enable-pam-for-user.sh’
  • for i-net PDFC server: ‘/usr/share/i-net-pdfc-server/enable-pam-for-user.sh’

This script will add the user of the service (see above) to the group of the ‘/etc/shadow’ file.

The script needs to be executed as root user with the following commands:

• for i-net Clear-Reports server: ‘/usr/share/i-net-clear-reports/enable-pam-for-user.sh clearreports’
  • for i-net HelpDesk server: ‘/usr/share/i-net-helpdesk/Server/enable-pam-for-user.sh helpdesk’
  • for i-net PDFC server: ‘/usr/share/i-net-pdfc-server/enable-pam-for-user.sh pdfc’

After enabling the PAM authentication the service will be run as non-root user. To restart the service it is necessary to execute the following command as root user:

• for i-net Clear-Reports server: ‘service clear-reports restart’
  • for i-net HelpDesk server: ‘service helpdesk restart’
  • for i-net PDFC server: 'service pdfc-server restart’