I have written a plugin but it does not work. How can I debug it?
The following step-by-step description is for the Eclipse IDE but it should work similarly with other IDEs such as IntelliJ.
- First you must build your plugin with its plugin.properties and the needed jar files. Let's say your plugin name is MySamplePlugin.
- Then create a new Java project for running the server in debug mode.
- Copy the folders "core", "lib" and "plugins" of an installation into the project root.
- Add the file
core/ClearReports.jar to the classpath of the project.
- Stop all other Clear Reports servers. If one is running as a service then set the service to manual startup.
- Add a launcher for the class
- Start the launcher and test in the browser if it works at this point.
- Copy your plugin MySamplePlugin.zip into the "plugins" subfolder of the project.
- Add to the launcher the following JVM parameter:
replacing MySamplePlugin with the id of your plugin and MySamplePluginProj with your plugin project.
- Restart the launcher.
- Set a breakpoint in your plugin files and call it in the browser. You may need to first set the source file location the first time you hit a breakpoint.